VOCATIONAL CLASSES AT NICHOLS CAREER CENTER
Courses offered through Nichols Career Center: Auto Mechanics; Computer Technology; Construction Trades; Building Trades; Welding; Auto Body Repair; Vocational Printing; Electronics; Commercial Illustration; Horticulture; Cooperative Occupational Education; Heating/Air Conditioning/ Refrigeration
NOTE: Registration for classes at Nichols Career Center is publicized and is separate from regular registration at Helias
1. The courses at Nichols Career center are primarily meant for those students who wish to obtain job skills in order to go directly to work after high school. In general, Helias does not recommend that students who plan to go on to college take courses at Nichols. College bound students need to concentrate on traditional academic courses while in high school.
2. For all of the classes offered in conjunction with Nichols Career Center, the student must complete an application for, signed by the parents.
3. Students living outside the Jefferson City School District must get approval from their school district before attending Nichols, indicating that their school district will pay the tuition for the students to attend the vocational class.
4. The student must be very careful in checking to see that all graduation requirements are fulfilled, including the 26 credit minimum, to graduate.
5. Helias is only allowed a certain number of students in each class. Students who apply for the vocational classes will be notified as to whether or not they have been accepted into the class.
6. A student attending Nichols Career Center must take Religion and two other classes at Helias that year.
7. Regular full tuition is paid to Helias. Credit for the class is issued through Helias and recorded on the student’s permanent record at Helias.
8. Attendance at Nichols Career Center must be regular and consistent. On days when Helias is free but Nichols has school, you must report for your vocational class. Anytime you are absent from Nichols, your parents must call both Helias and Nichols Career Center, and send a note to Helias the next day explaining the absence. Failure to do so is considered an unexcused absence.
9. Students who attend the vocational classes at Nichols Career Center are subject to regulations of both Helias and Nichols. You are expected to obey the rules and behave yourself.
10. Do not expect to come back for every assembly held at Helias during the time you are scheduled to be at Nichols Career Center.